Day in the Life!

I’ve never linked up to Kelly’s “SUYL” blogs before, but I thought this would be a good one to do because I’ve been meaning to write a “Day in the Life” type post for a long time, anyway! My confession is, even though Ava has been in Kindergarten since August, I am STILL having trouble establishing a good, productive daytime routine. But maybe this post will be a reminder to me that some things are still getting accomplished! I’m going to record our day on Wednesday because Wednesday is my busiest/ most stressful day of the week, but it is also the most structured one. To be honest, I really spent my whole week dreading Wednesdays until pretty recently. I finally made some changes in the day that really helped my “Wednesday attitude,” which I will explain in the timeline. So…here we go…

A Day in the Life of the Linkers!

Wednesday, February 27th

7:00ish – wake up; make Ava’s lunch. During the process, I’m sure the boys got up and started eating breakfast. I also would have fixed Ava’s hair and filled out her homework notebook to record how much we had read the night before. My memories from this time in the morning are pretty fuzzy! I wish I could get up at 6:00 AM and have a full hour in the morning to myself, but I stay up late editing pictures almost every night and I just can’t seem to do it.

7:45 – Josh takes Ava to school on the way to work. If Josh has to get to work earlier (which will happen a lot over Session,) I will take her to school, the boys in tow. On the way, we pray for the day and sing songs – it’s actually fun once we’ve made it to the car. But, I believe on this day, Josh took her, which is nice!

8:00 – 9:00: I piddled around doing chores around the house, I’m not sure what! I probably drank coffee and caught up on facebook, too. I tried to convince Izzy to go ahead and work on his letters, but he was intent on waiting for his favorite shows. I prepared my Mission Friend’s lesson at some point in the morning. I’m not sure when that happened, but I’m thinking it was here.

9:00 – 10:00: The boys watch “Super Why” and “Dinosaur Train” on PBS while I shower and do my hair. I used to have a policy that we did not watch TV while Daddy was at work. The kids would watch PBS or something off Netflix before or after dinner. But now that Ava’s in school, we stay so busy in the afternoon/evening that we don’t have time for TV. So I’ve conceded and let Izzy watch a little in the morning. If I’m just showering/getting dressed, the boys get 1 show; if I’m doing my hair, they get 2.

10:00 – 11:00: The Preschool Hour. Izzy goes to preschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I would like to do some with him at home. We are slowly working on recognizing letters. On this particular day we sang some songs, did some exercises, worked on writing L, M, B, A, E, H and F. I also made Izzy a Pinterest-y letter parking lot and then had him park his toy car on certain letters. And then he built a castle next to it.

11:00 – 12:00: Outside time. Egan is always raring to go outside. Izzy, on the other hand, isn’t that eager for it. So he had a major meltdown when I made him leave his castle building to come outside. I pulled them in the wagon and took them on a little walk. By the time we got back, Izzy was ready to ride his tricycle like nobody’s business.

12:00 – 12:30: Lunch. Egan and I had leftover pizza casserole. Izzy had his normal peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Oh, and I got him to eat some broccoli. I was pretty proud of that!

12:45 – 2:45: Egan’s nap time. Izzy’s quiet play time. Izzy seems to have outgrown taking a nap on his bed, but sometimes I can get him to lay on the couch and take one. I don’t mind that he doesn’t always nap because he’s a lot better at playing/coloring quietly and independently than his sister was at his age. During this time, I finish getting ready for Mission Friends, have my quiet time, and get some editing done. Then I pack the car up with Ava’s ballet bag, Mission Friends supplies, the cooler, and my running clothes, get Egan up from his nap and changed, get shoes on Izzy, and get the boys in the car.

2:45 – 3:30: Pick up Ava from school. We swing back by the house so that she can change clothes for ballet. I help her put on her tights and put her hair in a bun. While she does the rest of her getting ready, I desperately make last minute preparations that I had forgotten, like making Egan’s milk cup. We used to drive straight to the ballet studio and she would get ready there, but trying to keep up with Egan and keep him OUT of the girls’ bags in the dressing room while I tried to help her made me want to gouge my eyes out.

3:30 – 4:00: We drive to ballet. I throw gummy snacks at the kids to help make it easier.

4:00 – 5:00: Ava’s ballet class. We used to stay at the studio waiting room the whole time, which was really stressful. It’s definitely not designed for Egan – there are stairs and pianos and adults who like to have mature, quiet conversations. But they just opened a Publix across the street from the studio; I’ve discovered that I have just enough time to zip over there, buckle the boys into the awesome car buggy, pick up our milk/bread/fruit/yogurt for the week, and get back to the studio in time for Izzy to play a couple rounds of Angry Birds before Ava gets out of class. A LOT better than chasing Egan up and down stairs for an hour!

5:00 – 5:30: Commute to Mission Friends while trying to figure out who is going to pick up dinner for Mission Friends.

5:30 – 7:15: Mission Friends. I don’t know why, but even the most angelic of children are wired on Wednesday nights. Before I made the changes so that I wouldn’t have to spend so much time at the ballet studio, I was REALLY frazzled by the time I got there. Add to that 4-6 hyped up children, and I was not a happy camper…and I’m sure everyone could tell! But since I made the changes, it’s amazing how much more patience I have! (It doesn’t hurt that I’m trying to eat a more substantial lunch on Wednesdays, too!)

7:45 – 8:30ish: I pass off the boys to Josh and go for a run with Liz. I’m so glad we get to do this because by this time I am READY for adult conversation! And hats off to Josh for putting the kids to bed on Wednesday nights; they are live wires!

9:00 – 11:00: I try to get some editing done while watching something on Netflix with Josh. On this night, I happened to finish Will’s 1 Year shoot. I usually stay up much later than this, but I couldn’t keep my eyes open this time around.

So that’s it! Not very exciting, but very full!


One thought on “Day in the Life!

  1. Pingback: What’s Up Wednesday | karathecucumber

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s